- CYSA is a national competition, open to all Canadian residents between the ages of 11 and 24 years as of the date of competition. There is both a Junior and a Senior competition. The age limits are as follows:
Junior: Ages 11 to 15 (as of the date of competition)
Senior: Ages 16 to 24 (as of the date of competition)
**INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: International applications are accepted as long as competition age limits are respected, proof of age requirements are met, application fees (in CDN currency) are paid in full before the competition, and all other current CYSA rules and regulations are fully met. Applicants are responsible for any travel and associated fees to and from the competition outside of competition day shuttle bus services. Applicants can apply for accommodation assistance (provided in CDN currency) and will receive assistance only upon receipt of proof of stay from the host hotel. Please read carefully through the rest of the rules and regulations below.
- Applications for the 2023 competition can be completed online through the website at cysa-joca.ca or in writing to:
Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture Inc.
Box 25015, Stone Road Mall, Postal Outlet
370 Stone Road West, Unit 17
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2X0
- This year, the competition will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2023. Applications will be date stamped upon arrival and must be received no later than midnight September 30, 2023. Applications must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Cheques should be made payable to “Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture Inc.” Faxes are accepted, but a cheque, cash, or credit card payment via PayPal must be received before your application will be confirmed.
- There will be no refunds for cancellations after Thursday, October 5, 2023. Contestants are not allowed to ‘transfer’ registrations between competitors if, for whatever reason, they cannot participate in the competition but have already registered. All applications will be confirmed by e-mail and/or telephone after the registration deadline of September 30. After the application deadline (Sept. 30) late applications will be accepted until October 15, 2023 at the additional cost of $40 (Junior: $20 application fee + $40 late fee = $60; Senior: $40 application fee + $40 late fee = $80).
- Competitors are responsible for their own travel and accommodation.
The official host hotel for the 2023 CYSA Competition:
Hampton Inn by Hilton Toronto Airport Corporate Centre
3279 Caroga Drive
Reservation Desk: 1-833-301-1093 (mention group booking code CHH11 for Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture Inc.)
Reserve your suite (link to Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport booking system)
- Any previous first place winners of the Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture competition are not eligible to participate in subsequent CYSA competitions. (Exception: Junior winner can compete in Senior competition.)
- Prior to competition day, proof of age will be required (birth certificate or passport), sent to the CYSA Registrar, Anne McGee.
- Competitors agree to be photographed, video recorded and/or quoted for promotional purposes throughout the current year and succeeding years. They furthermore agree that video submissions will become the property of CYSA Inc.
- Speeches may be delivered in either of Canada’s official languages, English or French.
- Each competitor will present a timed 5 to 7 minute prepared speech on a current issue (approved CYSA list of topics for the current year) pertaining to Canada’s agriculture and agri-food industries.
- Competitors will be scored on 120 points: 60 points for presentation and 60 points for content. See the links below for copies of judging scorecards.
- There will be strict enforcement of the 5-7 minute time frame. Competitors will be penalized for being over/under the established time frame. Time deductions are as follows:
Over 7 minutes/under 5 minutes – Point Deduction
1 to 10 seconds – 2 points
11 to 20 seconds – 5 points
More than 20 seconds – 15 points
- Competitors in both the Junior and Senior competitions are not permitted to use the emcee podium, but can use the microphone/music stand provided at the front of the auditorium. Failure to do so will disqualify the participant. Participants can choose to use the microphone provided in the middle of the room or to speak freely without the microphone.
- Competitors are permitted to use flip charts or appropriate posters to illustrate their speech. Slides, films, videos or overhead projectors are not permitted.
- The decisions of the judges will be final in all instances. Copies of the official judging scorecards will be destroyed immediately following the competition.
- Judges will select six (6) speakers from preliminary rounds to compete in the finals. If numbers do not justify a preliminary round for the age group (in the opinion of the CYSA board), it will be eliminated and competitors will compete only once.
- Cash prizes are as follows:
Senior: 1st 2nd 3rd
$350 $150 $75
Junior: $350 $150 $75
- Should the rules be reproduced by a third party for promotional or other uses, it is to be noted that the rules as defined in the CYSA Inc. board records for the current year in question will prevail in all and any circumstances.
- Should any issue or concern arise at any time during the competition, the President and the Board Chair will review the matter and their decision will be final in all instances.
- It is expected that competitors will conduct themselves professionally and appropriately at all times when representing the Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture competition and its sponsors. As with all youth activities, 100% participation is expected from each participant.
Competitors will be evaluated according to the following score sheets: